Konno Yuuki (紺野木綿季, Konno Yūki?) was the deuteragonist of the Mother's Rosario side story in the Sword Art Online series. She had made an account for Serene Garden, a virtual hospice for the terminally ill, and had also played a variety of virtual reality games, such as «Asuka Empire», «Insect Site», and «ALfheim Online» (ALO) under the name Yuuki (ユウキ, Yūki?).
Yuuki was the 2nd leader of the «Sleeping Knights» guild, a group of terminally ill patients who played various virtual reality games as a form of palliative care. She was also known as Absolute Sword (絶剣, Zekken?) in ALfheim Online due to winning sixty-seven consecutive duels on the street, including one against Kirito. She was also known for creating the eleven-hit Original Sword Skill named Mother's Rosario in the game. She spent her last moments of life while logged on to ALO in Asuna's arms, surrounded by her friends and more than a thousand other players.
Real Life Appearance
Yuuki had short, black hair and, in the final moments of her life, she had extremely pale skin, which made her look very sickly.
ALfheim Online Avatar
In ALfheim Online, Yuuki's avatar was a slim Imp with milky white with a hint of purple skin, lustrous and gorgeous, long, purplish-black hair, and red eyes. She wore obsidian half-armour, which covered her chest and had a slight bulge, a bluebottle violet blouse and a windswept dress of the same colour beneath the armour. A thin, black sheath hung on her waist.
Yuuki was a kind of person who is willing to live her life to the fullest even in her critical condition, when she died peacefully in happiness. She believed some things must be done in forceful means for the other party to understand.
Konno Yuuki was born on May 2011. Due to dystocia, a caesarean section had to be performed, but an accident caused a large amount of bleeding and thus a blood transfusion was given. However, the blood was infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), which causes the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). By the time the virus was detected, the whole family was already infected. Yuuki continued to fight the disease but, during the course of her 4th Grade, a group of students found she was a carrier of the HIV virus and started spreading rumors about Yuuki around the school and she was forced to transfer schools. At that moment, Yuuki's immune system began collapsing and she was hospitalised. Her parents died two years prior to the events of the Mother's Rosario and her sister a year prior.
Yuuki was first introduced as Absolute Sword, a street swordsman offering an 11-hit Original Sword Skill to the person who defeated her. After fighting through a sixty-seven battle win streak, she was challenged by Asuna. Although Asuna lost, Yuuki was impressed and thus asked Asuna on behalf of everyone in her guild for her help in defeating the 27th Floor's boss. After some consideration, Asuna agreed, declining the Sleeping Knights' offer to pay her.
The first attempt at defeating the floor's boss was unsuccessful, and the Sleeping Knights learned that a larger guild had surreptitiously observed their efforts in order to gain information on the boss before going in to kill it themselves. When the Sleeping Knights made their way to the boss room again, they found that half the group was there, and they had to, with the help of Kirito and Klein, fight their way through. After a difficult battle, the Sleeping Knights were able to defeat the boss. Shortly before they did, though, Yuuki subconsciously called Asuna as her older sister.
Asuna expressed a desire to get to know Yuuki better, but Yuuki seemed hesitant. The group, however, decided to have a party at Asuna's house, while they reminisced about their experiences. Asuna asked to join the Sleeping Knights, only to be told that they were disbanding. To change the topic, Asuna reminded the group about the Monument of Swordsmen and they all traveled there to see their names on the monument. At the monument, after the group took a picture, Yuuki called Asuna as her older sister again. When Asuna pointed it out, Yuuki began crying and logged off without a word.
The next day, Asuna asked Siune why Yuuki was not responding to her, and Siune explained that Yuuki cared for Asuna, but did not wish to see her again for her sake. Dissatisfied with that explanation, Asuna, acting on information from Kazuto, went to Yuuki's hospital and learned the truth about her condition. Reuniting with Yuuki, Asuna refused to forget her, and decided to help her with her request to go to school again.
Through a Bidirectional Communication Probe made by Kazuto, Yuuki was able to enjoy the school at the SAO Survivor School and was able to see her old home once more before it was torn down. Yuuki, by talking to Asuna, was able to inspire her to help her mother see her point of view.
At the end of March, Yuuki's condition suddenly deteriorated, and Asuna rushed to the hospital, learning that Yuuki's death was close at hand. Yuuki logged onto ALO one last time to pass on her Original Sword Skill to Asuna. Yuuki passed away peacefully in Asuna's arms, surrounded by her friends, the Sleeping Knights, Asuna's other friends and many players who came to pay tribute to the «Absolute Sword».
Original Sword Skills
- Mother's Rosario (11-hit)
- Created an 11-Hit Original Sword Skill - Mother's Rosario
- Took part in the defeat of the 27th-29th floor bosses of New Aincrad
- Became the 4th ALO champion swordsman
- First tester of the Medicuboid
- The name Yuuki (木綿季?) comes from the last two kanji in Crinum (浜木綿, Hamayuu?) and Season (季, Ki?), as Yuuki was born when the Crinums bloomed (July).
- Yuuki refers to herself using the personal pronoun boku (ボク?), which establishes a sense of masculinity and, thus, characterises Yuuki as a tomboy.
- Yuuki also acknowledged Kirito as being as strong a player as Asuna, yet she did not ask for his help because he had discovered her secret as a user of the Medicuboid.
- Kirito claimed that if Yuuki had played SAO, she would have been the one to receive the Dual Blades skill, as her reaction speed was greater than his.
- As a Medicuboid user, she was one of the few people who had more playtime than the "survivors from the SAO incident", having been logged on for over three years continuously.
- The fact that Yuuki's given name is pronounced the same as Asuna's family name has been the source of several jokes throughout the series:
- When one of Asuna's classmates called Asuna by her family name, Yuuki mistakenly believed that the classmate was talking to her.
- Yuuki jokingly proposed marriage to Asuna and told her that Asuna would have to join Yuuki's family, because if Yuuki joined Asuna's family she would be named Yuuki Yuuki.
- Yuuki is the second person known to have used their real name as their in-game name (the first being Asuna).
- Kirito claimed that, even with Dual Blades, he believed it would have been impossible for him to win against Yuuki.. However, the author has claimed that if Kirito was using Excalibur as his second sword, he would probably win in a duel against Yuuki due to the difference in stats.
- In Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, Yuuki is available as a partner for Kirito and can be recruited if the player starts up a new game, but only if Kirito chooses to investigate the strange area after he defeats Heathcliff.
- Yuuki is playable in Dengeki Bunko FIGHTING CLIMAX IGNITION via downloadable content (DLC) for the console version. She is currently the only playable character to be released via DLC for the FIGHTING CLIMAX games.
- By the time Yuuki started using the Medicuboid, she had been infected with Cytomegalovirus and nontuberculous mycobacteria.
- In the light novel, Doctor Kurahashi claimed that Yuuki was born in 2011. However, in Sisters' Prayer, Doctor Kurahashi stated that Yuuki's 14th birthday was in 2024, meaning that she was born in 2010.
- ↑ Tweet by the author about Yuuki's birthday
- ↑ According to Sisters' Prayer, Yuuki's fourteenth birthday was on May 23, 2024
- ↑ Tweet by the author about Yuuki's death
- ↑ Official anime site credit page.
- ↑ Anipex of America Announcement
- ↑ Sisters' Prayer Part 1
- ↑ Sisters' Prayer Part 4
- ↑ Volume 7, Chapter 7
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Volume 7, Chapter 3
- ↑ Yuuki's Q&A session in the 3rd popularity contest by Kunori Fumio (EX00 Face to Face)
- ↑ Q&A session in the 3rd popularity contest by Kunori Fumio (EX00 Face to Face)
- ↑ A tweet by the author.
- ↑ Dengeki Online article
- ↑ Volume 7, Chapter 9
- ↑ Volume 7, Chapter 8
- ↑ Sisters' Prayer Part 5