FANDOM


  • Is it not Egil? That's the way it's pronounced and spelt in several english subs i've seen, even the offical one from japan I bought.

      Loading editor
    • It's pronouned as "Egiru", but it is NOT his official name. His official name is "Agil", derrived from Andrew Gilbert. The raw anime says "Agil" (see the trade window in episode 8 or Kayaba's log out list in episode 14). We have 0 references that would imply "Egil", while we have references for "Agil" and we have a logical explanation for such a spelling, so, unless Reki writes "Egil" in English in the novel, his official name is "Agil".

      If you doubt any other name, please see Official Naming. We list all the names of the characters used on the wiki, as well as any references we have to prove the chosen spelling. Non-bolded names are the only ones that do not have any references and may be changed if we have a good enough reason to do so.

        Loading editor
    • I was more than happy to rewatch episode 8 and 14 just to check that.

      It must be a translator mistake, as they defiantly put Egil.

      Thanks for the amazing answer by the way. I'd watched the first series twice now, once pirated another bought, but each had spelt Agil as Egil. I've warmed to the new spelling though. Dissapointed that the official subtitled version had such a mistake in it. :(

        Loading editor
    • Yeah... that's why I never trust subtitles or even dubs for official names. The translators/editors are (practically always) too lazy to look for mistakes or to do their research.

      Even the dub has made some facepalm worthy mistakes, like calling "Divine Dragons Alliance" as "Holy Dragon Alliance", even though the abbreviation for the guild was given in English letters as "DDA" and, if that's not enough for any respectable translator, the guild's name was also given in katakana in one instance in the novel as ディヴァイン・ドラゴンズ・アライアンス (Divain Doragonzu Araiansu). How on earth would somebody decide that "D" = "H" or that "Divain" = "Holy" if they had actually put any effort in getting official translations...

      Anyway, that's why I only take raws as the 90%+ reliable sources, though even raws make mistakes (the anime used both Lizbeth and Lisbeth; Leafa and Leefa... luckily, the dub seems to be using a corrected version of the footage, so that clears up a few issues). I only resort to referencing official subs or dubs if I can't find any other more reliable source for the name, and even then I treat it as only semi-official.

        Loading editor
    • When it comes to these things, the anime is normally unreliable. The light novel really seems like a much better source of information regarding SAO. Also, information about Alicization Arc is out already out (actually, I read it as well) and Agil is what's shown there. :)

        Loading editor
    • dude, this topic has been dead for 6 months. And we already know about that information, we saw it a little while ago.

        Loading editor
    • I'm pretty sure that Agathia was just looking at Agil's page and noticed the discussion, but didn't check the time stamp on the posts.

      And what do you mean by "Agil is what's shown there"? I don't remember the raw novel text having any romanisation of his name. Novel translations are about as official as anime subs, as all romanised names, unless confirmed from other sources or official romanisation in the raw, are just interpretations based on the katakana.

        Loading editor
    • His name is rendered as Egil, not Agil, as per romanji エ (e), not ア (a). You can quarrel about the anime production team's translator mistaking the reference. SAO contains half a dozen Norse mythological references, a dozen Greek, and various others. This is not a coincidence, it's a production error.

        Loading editor
    • No, it's not a "production" error. Agil is just an abbreviation of Andrew Gilbert, which makes perfect sense, as the majority of IGNs in the series are just plays on the character's real name. You're the one mistaking pronunciation, as the English A is actually pronounced like the Japanese E.

        Loading editor
    • Forget to mention, the actual reference being made in this case is to Egill Skallagrimsson. It's intentional.

      That's incorrect, A is pronounced as A, LMGTTFY: Google Translate.

      However, it's not even the pronounciation you should be concerned with, but the original manga/source for his romanji username. There is not 'official' source for Agil, as the anime was made by a separate production team who may have assumed that was the case.

      Furthermore, it's only Kirito's name which is a portmanteau of his first/last names. Asuna is not. Neither are Leafa, Recon, Heathcliff, Oberon, Klein Silica... eh, I'll just stop here, because none of them are in fact, disproving that hypothesis.

        Loading editor
    • Why do you even use Google Translate for spelling reference, Google Translate is not smart enough to spell a word that is not register correctly...

      And if you want a prove that Agil is the correct version of his name. Check Lost Song, Hollow Fragment, Character books, Memory Defrag, etc. All of them use "Agil". And they don't say that is because the staff fault, because they have already check it to the Author.

        Loading editor
    • Want me to further shatter your world? LOL... Reddit: [Spoilers Code Geass Thematic Synopsis: for the confused masses]

      It's just a draft I don't feel like revising because: Horrible response in the comments section. It's just one giant SAO hate-train in that subreddit.

      If you'd like, I'd be happy to add some of those reference for you, without spoiling it too much. However, if you're going to argue this technicality, then I must desists. :)

        Loading editor
    • Rich Richie wrote:
      Why do you even use Google Translate for spelling reference

      And if you want a prove that Agil is the correct version of his name. Check Lost Song, Hollow Fragment, Character books, Memory Defrag, etc. All of them use "Agil". And they don't say that is because the staff fault, because they have already check it to the Author.

      Google: Japanese to English. Drop his Japanese romanji and katakana names in. It's accurate. Not only that, it's just common knowledge, which shouldn't even require you to use Google.

      The second comment needs to be sourced. Are they English translations? Then they probably obtained the name from the Anime, where the original error was introduced.

        Loading editor
    • Gd, How you do edit/delete a comment on a 'Fandom' Account? Linked the wrong thread.

        Loading editor
    • Damn, this forum is literally hopeless. Here's the actual thread: [Spoilers Final nail in the coffin of all SAO reviews/pseudo-'analyses' : anime]

        Loading editor
    • That's incorrect, A is pronounced as A

      The English A represents at least seven different sounds. The Japanese A represents a single one. In this case, the English A is pronounced as something like an "æ", while the Japanese A is pronounced more like "a:". So no, an English A does not necessarily equal a Japanese A. It's actually closer to a Japanese E in this case. If you can't understand that there's a difference in phonology between two languages, that's not my problem.

      Neither are Leafa, Recon, Heathcliff, Oberon, Klein Silica... eh, I'll just stop here, because none of them are in fact, disproving that hypothesis.

      Klein's name is based on the Klein bottle, since the bottle in Klein bottle sounds like his family name in Japanese.

      Suguha literally has a kanji that means "leaf" in Japanese.

      Silica is a reference to the fact that her real name is written with a kanji for Silicon.

      Though it's true that Recon, Heathcliff and Oberon are names not based on their real names. But characters like those constitute a minority of the characters in the series.

        Loading editor
    • I have no idea why you're translating from English to Japanese, in reverse. Romanji エ sounds nothing like 'a', it sounds like 'e', while romanji ア produces a short 'a' vowel sound in English. They are not even remotely similar.

      That's interesting, but Suguha and Leafa are not portmanteaus, as your first described. They're metaphors. The same is true of Asuna, as per the SAO Reddit thread I linked. Agil has no such connection, as there is no kanji for 'Agil', neither is it even an English word.

        Loading editor
    • File:Early_Agil.png

      Prove that it is the official name. It is drawn by THE AUTHOR himself.

        Loading editor
    • Well, that would be the first time in history that I've seen エ rendered as A. It's either a paradox, a mistake, or Reki needs Engrish help.

        Loading editor
    • I never said that all names are portmanteaus. I specifically said "majority of IGNs in the series are just plays on the character's real name". That doesn't limit it to just portmanteaus - it just means that their game names were derived from their real names in some way.

      I'm translating it that way because Andrew is not a Japanese name, while Agil is most likely based on that non-Japanese name.

      P.S. I specifically explained why エ is A in this case. It's because you got that in reverse - it's A that becomes エ, not vice versa.

        Loading editor
    • Do you know how to pronounce Andrew? Google translate it. You will notice E sound even though it is an A.

        Loading editor
    • Gsimenas wrote:
      I specifically said "majority of IGNs in the series are just plays on the character's real name".

      See below:

      Rich Richie wrote:
      Do you know how to pronounce Andrew? Google translate it. You will notice E sound even though it is an A.

      It's actually, æ as Gsimenas mentioned (not e). However, it should have been rendered as ア in the literal case. The fact it was rendered as エ suggests that it is a play on words being used as a reference to Egill Skallagrimsson. There's is literally no connection/metaphor the 'Agil' (besides agility, which is crude).

        Loading editor
    • Just forget about Egill Skallagrimsson already. They may write "Agil", but you pronounce it Egil. Thus why the Katakana is エギル, because you pronounce it Egil. But you write it "Agil".

        Loading editor
    • Kana are based on pronunciation, not spelling, so no, there's no reason why the A in Agil should be rendered as ア if it's pronounced more like an エ. Nor is there any reason to assume that Agil was meant to be a reference, since the author admitted on numerous occasions that he doesn't put that much thought into his names.

        Loading editor
    • The Japanese language version clearly pronounces it as 'Egiru' (short e), not 'Ægiru' or 'Agiru'. Therefore, there's a play on words at work here, not just portmanteau. Furthermore Skallagrimsson was of tall stature, wields an axe (although common to many Varangians), was a trader, farmer and poet. Although I can't be certain how far the parallels go because I haven't read the prose edda.

      It should be included as a note in the trivia, but that was removed. Do as you please, but the information is incomplete in its current form.

        Loading editor
    • Gsimenas wrote:
      since the author admitted on numerous occasions that he doesn't put that much thought into his names.

      That's like saying Evangelion is not metaphorical at all, because Anno stated that he doesn't even comprehend the references and that he just used them because they sounded exotic. Authors will often tell you things of this nature. Another example would be 'Ergo Proxy', which does have meaning, but they said the same thing in that it's just because it sounded cool. I wrote a 20 page analysis on that. Nothing means anything; post-modernist destruction of literature, if you believe those I suppose.

        Loading editor
    • Well, as long as the author don't state that his name is reference from Egill, we don't intent to add it since one of our regulation is to not add a speculation other than the ones that is stated by the characters.

      And still, you should think the possibility that the author doesn't know the existence of Egill...

        Loading editor
    • Well, that's fair. However, it's also a poor way of handling trivia contribution, since the author cannot answer all possible questions. In fact, they'll often avoid them. Agil still doesn't sit right with me, because it has no metaphorical meaning.

      Here's a quote form Skallagrimsson's wiki which you might find funny (minor edit):

      > He then sang a poem declaring that "Runes none should (en)grave ever/Who know not (how) to read them."

        Loading editor
    • Okay, reading that discussion isn't healthy for my mind. You are speculating it is from Norse. Well, some names from ALO have a Norse background, but Kawahara's Norse is sub-par, to say the least. Just look at all the spell pages..

      Second, you are way to convinced of your own viewpoint to see anything else. Kawahara himself has said it's the abbreviation for Andrew Gilbert Mills. No, I won't read any random reddit post we have confirmation from the author himself!. You can argue whatever you want, but Agil is the intended official romanised spelling!

        Loading editor
    • And Ikari Shinjuu is a metaphor for Real Angry Child. Anno know but won't say. Welcome the internutz.

      That's fine. You can spell it however you want. I really don't care.

        Loading editor
    • I'd love to find an admin to delete some comments (tired, 30+ hrs, typos). Unfortunately, this is most garbage forum (wikia) I've ever encountered, and I've been around since before forums and the internet even existed. No comment edit/deletion from same ip on an anon account? The fuck is that, seriously?

      At this point, I'm just ranting so someone deletes those comments. Find me an admin thanks. Btw It's Shinjii, but Shinjuu works just as well for that failure of a child.

        Loading editor
    • Lmao, this "discussion" you've been having has been with what is now three admins. Nobody is going to delete your comments because this is funny as all hell and this way we can look back and have a good laugh at the Illuminati Anon who thinks that references have to be everywhere just for the sake of existing. His IGN is a reference to nothing, the romanization is correct, you're too caught up in finding something that doesn't exist.

        Loading editor
    • And you've obviously never been on a wikia page since there is no function that allows you delete your own anon comments.  Never has been, never will be.  Also, if you don't want to believe about Agil's name being a coincidence despite official sources because you're too caught up in your conspiracy theories, then why don't you ask Reki Kawahara on his English Twitter? Problem solved.

        Loading editor
    • Well, you're welcome to do as you wish, but there's a bit of redundant/irrelevant material there, which I'm sure other users won't find as 'hilarious' as you do, just tiresome to read.

      Wikia? Twitter? I don't have time for games like these. I have more important matters to attend to. Neither do I have the time to read comic books (manga), because they're a waste of time. I'd rather read some serious philosophy, mythology, history or political science books.

      You're all Shinjiis: Who is Ikari Shinji ( 碇 シンジ ) really? : anime

        Loading editor
    • You say you don't have time for this, and yet here you are...

      Also, if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd know that SAO is a light novel series and not a manga series. Keep pretending you're smarter than you really are, though, it's done a great job of making me laugh.

        Loading editor
    • ZeHaffen wrote:

      if you were half as smart as you think you are

      Actually, I've read the works in question in the SAO analysis thread I posted. Have a good look at Asuna's name as it's rendered in kanji in that thread.

      You mean to say presumptuous or pretentious; to presume or pretend to know something? Thus 'appearing smarter than you actually are'? That's usually the defense of a 'Real Angry Child' (aka Shinjii). Actually, 98% of the info in that post is objective and factual. I've already stated that I haven't read Egil's Saga or the prose/poetic eddas yet (but plan to), which nullifies your 'presumption' about what I have/have not read. However, I doubt Reki has either, and the references to Norse are rather sparse. Those others are not:

      If you were so concerned, you would read the actual 'source materials', which are Faust, Midsummers, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Norse and Greek mythologies. Otherwise, your opinion is meaningless in these matters.

      > I know that I know nothing - Socrates (He'd prefer not to have an opinion of something he does not comprehend; the definition of presumption/pretension).

      > He then sang a poem declaring that "Runes none should (en)grave ever/Who know not (how) to read them." - Egil Skallagrimsson

      > The audience doesn't care what it means / A writer can't think that way though. - Yotarou/Yuurakutei (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu)

        Loading editor
    • Not everyone watches Evangelion (with even fewer people bothering to analyse it), and since you've read SAO, you should keep your references to SAO.

      Which part of your argument is objective? An opinion that something should relate to what you think it is? (IE that Agil is a reference to some norse myth guy whom I have never heard of?) I have read the major norse myths, and Egill whatshisname doesn't trigger my radar one bit.

      BTW, what are your source materials' language of origin? Can you read them in latin, german,norse and greek? or do you read about it in English? because those aren't actual sources, they have already been translated (and probably lost some meaning in translation, which can't be helped). Else you'd be spelling Egill in runes. ~~A former translator

        Loading editor
    • Okay, I think this argument has gone on for quite long enough. Anonymous user # 76.69.77.240, you argued your points quite exhaustingly, so rest assured, the admins will be handling the matter, though if you had the time to debate with us on the spelling of Agil's player name, you could have just gone to Reki's Twitter yourself and collected a conclusive response. Mamue, if we do have confirmation from Reki that Agil's name should be spelled as is, we should have that as a reference on the trivia section of Agil's page to keep with the guidelines and prevent another circular debate like this pop up. Plus, and I don't know about you guys, but I for one am growing tired of seeing this circular argument perpetuate itself through repeating the same points, so let's just find a conclusive answer to the subject and be done with it. Sorry if this sounds a little blunt.

        Loading editor
    • Wikiwalker11291 wrote:

      we should have that as a reference on the trivia section of Agil's page

      Do we do that with other names? I thought we just put the Official Naming template on the page, then listed the source in the Official Naming List, something we've already done for Agil.

        Loading editor
    • ZeHaffen wrote:

      Wikiwalker11291 wrote:

      we should have that as a reference on the trivia section of Agil's page

      Do we do that with other names? I thought we just put the Official Naming template on the page, then listed the source in the Official Naming List, something we've already done for Agil.

      Well, it's just that the Official Naming List uses the anime and the Material Editions as references for Agil's IGN, and from what I can tell from his responses in this thread, the anon who started this topic in the first place apparently doesn't place much trust in either of them. Seems likes he wants a definitive statement from the author himself, such as one of Reki's tweets. Besides, it's not like it's unheard of on this wiki before; we used the Q&A sessions to cite the reason behind Klein's avatar name on his triva section.

        Loading editor
    • If anon wants a tweet about Agil's name being romanized correctly, I'll gladly link him the tweet where Kawahara says the Material Edition stories are canon. That should be enough evidence, no? I mean, they're published by Kawahara and he says they're canon, what more does one need?

      As for Klein's avatar name, I think that's in the Trivia section because it's more of a "how Klein decided on his name" rather than "'Klein' is his official IGN".

        Loading editor
    • ZeHaffen wrote:
      If anon

      Clarification: The image containing his name, as drawn by Reki was linked in this thread. That should be included as a reference, as it is not cited on Agil's page officially.

      Furthermore, as stated: It's trivia, and if it's Anglicized as 'Agil', then that is the case, which falls in line with a play on words. However, if you do ever get a response from Reki then add it as trivia. Nothing more needs to be said.

        Loading editor
    • I don't follow, the image can be found in the image gallery subpage for Agil and is cited on the Official Naming List, why would we cite it on the page as well? I don't recall this being done for any other characters.

      Also, why is the anglicization trivia? It's just an anglicization, there's no trivia behind how said anglicization came to be.

        Loading editor
    • Hi guys! I also have a question. His name is in which word order? The japanese or the english? 

        Loading editor
    •  エギルこと本名アンドリュー・ギルバート・ミルズが、現実世界でも店を経営していたと知ったときはなるほどと思った。人種的にはきつすいのアフリカン・アメリカンだが、同時に親の代からの江戸っ子でもあるそうで、住み慣れた徒町かちまちに喫茶店兼バーを開いたのが二十五歳の時らしい。客にも恵まれ、美人の奥さんももらって、さあこれからという時にSAOのりよしゆうとなった。二年後にかんしたときは店のことはほとんあきらめていたそうだが、奥さんがほそうででのれんを守り抜いたということだ。実にいい話だ。

      アンドリュー・ギルバート・ミルズ is the important part, which is the name in the order Andrew Gilbert Mills.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message