The Monument of Swordsmen (剣士の碑, Kenshi no Hi?) is the twenty first episode of the Sword Art Online II anime adaptation, as well as the fourth episode of Mother's Rosario. It aired on November 29, 2014.
After Kirito blocked the raiding guild's reinforcements, three mages of the guild fired multiple magical projectiles at him, but he countered with «Deadly Sins». As the reinforcements got into formation for battle, Kirito told Asuna that he would hold them off for three minutes with the help of Klein. In the meantime, the Sleeping Knights engaged the guild's forces blocking the path to the boss room. But, seeing that their assault was rendered useless by the intervention of the guild's healers, Asuna asked Siune to manage the healing herself and used «Flashing Penetrator» to break through to the healers, killing the group's leader in the process. After the healers were disposed of, the remaining players were easily defeated, allowing Asuna and the Sleeping Knights to enter the boss room. Before the boss battle, Asuna told the Sleeping Knights that they could repay her friends by achieving victory and also told Yuuki that she had taught her how there were some things that could only be shared by fighting. She then asked Yuuki to tell her about herself once the fight was over.
During the boss battle, Talken's spear was thrown into the air by the boss and it accidentally hit a crystal where the boss's two heads connected. Seeing that this caused the boss to flinch in pain and assume a guard stance, Asuna deduced that it might be its weak point and tested it out by firing several ice pillars at the same spot. Confirming her deduction, Asuna left the healing to Siune to tell Yuuki to use a Sword Skill at the weak spot. Before Yuuki charged off, she accidentally called Asuna her elder sister. Following Asuna's suggestion to use Tecchi as a stepping stone, Yuuki defeated the boss with her signature Original Sword Skill. Several moments later, the entrance opened and the raiding party entered, only to find that the boss had been defeated. The Sleeping Knights and Asuna then showed the raiding party a victory sign.
After the battle, the group agreed to celebrate at Asuna's player home. While conversing about various things, Asuna asked if she could converse more with Yuuki and whether she could join the Sleeping Knights, but Yuuki replied that they were going to disband soon and apologized at her request of being friends. Seeing that it resulted in an unpleasant reaction, Asuna decided to change the topic and reminded everyone about the Monument of Swordsmen. At the monument, everyone took a picture and Yuuki accidentally called Asuna as her elder sister again. Asuna quickly pointed this out to Yuuki but, unexpectedly, Yuuki started crying and abruptly logged off.
- «Sleeping Knights»
- Unnamed boss clearing guild
- Unnamed magic arrow spell
- Unnamed giant spear spell
- Unnamed dark orb spell
- Various healing spells
- Unnamed ice arrow spell
- 27th Floor
- Boss room
- 22nd Floor
- 1st Floor
- Adapted from Volume 7, Chapter 6 and 7
- In the novel, Kirito showed Asuna three fingers to indicate that he would keep off the guild for three minutes, instead of shouting it.
- In the novel, two players from the boss clearing guild tried to sneak up on and assassinate Asuna and Siune, but Asuna noticed them and cast Aqua Bind to stop them. Then, after talking with Siune, she finished them off before charging at the rest of the guild.
- In the novel, Asuna was the one who closed the doors to the boss room, instead of Siune.
- In the novel, Asuna deduced the boss's weakness after thinking about Kirito battling The Gleam Eyes, instead of seeing Talken's spear exposing its weakness. Additionally, since she was casting a spell when she deduced the weakness, Asuna accidentally failed the incantation of her spell.
- The same incantation was displayed for the three different attack spells at the beginning of the episode.
- Salamander healers were shown to use a single-target healing incantation for healing multiple players.
- The incantation displayed for Asuna's incantation did not match the incantation that Asuna recited.
- Asuna's spell was supposed to generate four ice shards instead of three.