«Elucidator» (エリュシデータ, Eryushidēta?) is Kirito's primary weapon in Sword Art Online. This sword is a demonic monster drop from a boss on the 50th Floor that Kirito wields along with «Dark Repulser». It was boosted to +45 by Lisbeth out of a maximum of 50.
Elucidator is a pitch black sword with trims of gray and is evenly balanced and quite powerful. It has a black hilt connected to a hand guard that drops down on the right side. Attached to this elongated area of the hand-guard is part of Elucidator's blade so as to better aid the user in retaining their grip on the sword when it is being used. The blade is completely black like the rest of the sword and the said blade is outlined in a light gray. In the design art by the illustrator of the novels, a small cross is emblazoned on the flat of the blade, just beneath the tip.
ELUCIDATOR +0
Long Sword / One Hand
- Range: Short
- Type: Slash
- Attack: 700-710
- Durability: 1350
- Weight: 170
- Requires: 61
- Equip +50
- Agility +28
- Strength +48
On June 25, 2024, Kirito displayed the Elucidator to Lisbeth, requesting her for a blade of equal quality. Appraising the weapon, the blacksmith found it was not a player-made weapon but a rare, high-quality boss drop. When the blacksmith offered her best sword, Kirito struck it with the Elucidator to test its durability, whereupon Lisbeth's sword broke. After the Dark Repulser was forged the next day on June 26, both the Elucidator and the new sword were used by the swordsman to demonstrate his Dual Blades skill due to Lisbeth's inquiry on his request for a sword similar to the Elucidator.
In August, 2024, after the exhausted Lisbeth managed to upgrade the Dark Repulser from +39 to +40, Kirito immediately asked her to upgrade the Elucidator to +40 as well.
On October 18, 2024, Kirito was forced to use the Elucidator, along with the Dark Repulser, to defeat The Gleam Eyes in the 74th Floor Labyrinth in order to protect an Aincrad Liberation Force party from being decimated by the Floor Boss. Two days later on October 20, the Black Swordsman used the Elucidator with the Dark Repulser in his duel against Heathcliff in Collinia but lost.
On November 7, 2024, Kirito utilized the Elucidator, alongside the Dark Repulser, in the battle against The Skull Reaper in the 75th Floor boss room. Shortly thereafter, the swordsman wielded both blades in his fight against Heathcliff, who was revealed to be Kayaba Akihiko. After the Dark Repulser shattered in the middle of the duel and Asuna sacrificed herself to protect Kirito, the Elucidator was knocked from the despondent swordsman's hand when he feebly attempted to resume his attack on the guild leader.
- Kirito did not have enough STR to equip this sword immediately after obtaining it.
- Elucidator was among the items that Kirito inherited in ALfheim Online from his Sword Art Online save data, due to the two games having an identical save format. However, as all the items were corrupted and could have been detected by the system's error detection protocol, Kirito deleted all of them.
- Kirito chose the length of the Night Sky Sword in the Alicization Arc to be the same as the length of the Elucidator.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Volume 10, Chapter 4, Part 3
- ↑ Material Edition 16
- ↑ Episode 07
- ↑ Volume 9, Chapter 1, Part 6
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Elucidator's appraisal window in Episode 07.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/kunori/status/236841076831432704
- ↑ The presence of MHCP001 among Kirito's items suggests that the save data was recent.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Volume 3, Chapter 2